RETAIL STORE MANAGER
With 20 years’ experience offering high-quality beef to grocery stores and food service providers in the Texas area, Nolan Ryan Brands opened Goodstock by Nolan Ryan, a boutique butcher shop in Round Rock, Texas June of 2020. The butcher shop is a destination for both locals and out-of-town guests and serves as part butcher shop, and part retail shop. Customers expect a unique experience that celebrates Texas traditions and supports local artisans and producers. The shop preserves a traditional butcher shop experience by offering a variety of fresh and frozen proteins, while adding a modern flare in both design and experience. We want guests to walk away with new ideas, inspiration, and retail products they didn’t expect to find, while inspiring them to create new and flavorful experiences worthy of their family’s traditions.
To lead this retail location, we are seeking a full-time Retail Store Manager who will bring fresh creative thinking to the table and help to create a memorable front-end experience for our guests as well as efficiencies behind the scenes. The successful candidate will manage overall operations of the store, and work with our Direct-to-Consumer Business Manager to ideate on marketing programs, new products, and promotions to drive traffic and create loyal customers to the butcher shop. The successful candidate will be responsible for maintaining and adjusting operations and labor to stay within the corporate budget and make any changes necessary to sustain the projected profit margin for each quarter.
To excel in this position, an individual must be able to think creatively, problem-solve, and possess good people skills. This will be essential to building internal and external relationships and providing a differentiating customer experience.
Key responsibilities include:
- Oversee front-end duties during open hours; ensure displays are well kept and fresh, inventory is well stocked, and there is a large focus on customer service.
- Be available to work a minimum of 40 hours a week and overtime as required. Expect to work weekends.
- Bring creative thinking to in-store displays that highlights and compliments other items to create opportunities to cross-sell or up-sell.
- Provide creative ideas to direct manager and corporate staff on new products and new vendors that appeal to the focused customer for the store.
- Develop a customer engagement script to communicate with guests that includes our brand story, meal preparation ideas, food pairing ideas, grilling tips, and new in-store discoveries.
- Provide training to improve the knowledge base of the staff and utilize cross-training methods to maintain productivity when employees are absent.
- Develop and maintain routine staff schedule for all areas of the butcher shop.
- Maintain and coordinate a regular cleaning and housekeeping program for the front-end area and direct front-end employees in following the program.
- Maintain and coordinate a regular cleaning and sanitizing program with butcher staff for the cutting room in conjunction with rules and regulations set by Director of Food Safety for company.
- Collaborate with Direct-to-Consumer Business Manager with holiday activities and promotions throughout the year strategically designed to increase sales and profit margin as well as execution.
- Choose and maintain inventory (meat and non-meat) by implementing purchasing plans and working closely with the internal corporate operations team and vendor(s).
- Be up to date with in-store inventory and brand partners in order to effectively communicate their brand stories to customers and provide appropriate recommendations and suggestions.
- Manage all controllable costs to operate the store efficiently.
- Develop and maintain security procedures for the store and cash drawer.
- Good working knowledge of the Point-of-Sale system (Clover and additional POS Applications) to troubleshoot and resolve problems.
- Balance and maintain store cash drawer; reconcile daily sales with internal accounting team.
- Ensure all FDA and food certification procedures are followed, and applicable licenses are visible.
Education and Experience
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- High school diploma required. College degree preferred ideally in business. administration or hospitality related field. Relative experience will also be considered.
- Minimum of five years of retail sales experience with at least two years in a management role.
- Excellent customer service skills required; ability to make decisions and provide direction in a timely manner.
- Experience in the food and beverage industry preferred.
- Experience managing creative displays and showcases preferred.
- Prior experience developing and/or maintaining promotions to boost in-store traffic.
- Point-of-Sale software and productivity software skills required.
- Proven history of training and/or mentoring staff.
- Strong understanding of sales and customer service techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain and work within a budget.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following:
- Verbal and Written Communication Skills
Requires the ability to effectively communicate verbally and virtually. Clarity of speech, remaining calm and focused, being polite, and making effective presentations to diverse groups.
- Mathematical Skills
Ability to work with mathematical concepts and apply such concepts as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
- Computer Skills
Proficiency and knowledge of Microsoft Office and Shopify are required.
- Reasoning Ability
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regularly required to stand, sit, walk, use hands and arms, talk and hear.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Nolan Ryan Brands complies with its reasonable accommodation obligations under the Americans with Disabilities Act and state law.
- Interactive and fast-paced team-orientated tasks.
- Required to wear appropriate clothing as outlined in company handbook.
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary to commensurate based on experience, plus bonus potential based on performance goals.
- Health care benefits: medical, dental, vision
- 401(k) benefits
- Life insurance, short term/long term disability
- PTO and holidays
If interested, please send a cover letter and resumé to:
Direct-to-Consumer Business Manager, Nolan Ryan Brands
3500 East Palm Valley Blvd, Suite 1
Round Rock, TX 78665